Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Lost Treasures






This is a quilt top that I actually made at least five years ago. It was intended to be a Christmas wallhanging. I just pulled it out of my UFO stash and felt almost a sadness that I had allowed something so pretty stay hidden away from the world. I, like most quilters, don't think that my work is anything special, but this particular piece was and still is.
The stars were paper pieced from Carol Doak's Stars book. I don't know where the book is off hand, but when I find it, I will make sure to post the name of the book because it is definatly one of the best star books out there. It has 50 different paper pieced blocks, each one named after a different state.
I spent hours upon hours working on this wallhanging. It only has nine blocks but each one of those blocks was a couple of days work. Not to mention, the amount of work it took to make up the pattern and decide on fabrics I wanted to put into it.
Once I had finished the top, I looked at it and decided that it wasn't finished just yet. I wanted to add some applique holly and berries just to give it a little extra pizazz....well that was my downfall. In order to do that, I had to learn how to applique. It took a long time to figure out and I ended up just tucking it away to work on for a rainy day. Well, it's rained quite a few times since then and I haven't finished the applique! HA HA
I have decided that it is going to get finished this year. It will be on my wall come Christmas time. It's too pretty not too and frankly, after all the work I have put into this lil' stinker, I would like to have the opportunity to brag a little!
With Stars in my Eyes,

-Dara







No comments:

Post a Comment